Saturday, January 27, 2007

The Rundown

Here's what they're gonnna learn me at the U this semester:

Sociology of Gender: this awesome class is only 1 credit, and all I really need to do is show up for the class in order to get credit. I get to rub elbows with many of the dissertators from the top sociology department in the nation and learn the ropes while discussing gender issues. What could be more awesome???

Stats for Sociologists II: the sequel to last semesters "easy" stats class. It's not going to be easy this time around. We will be learning about something called "logit models" and logistical regression. Useful but painful for the brain.

Labor in an Integrated World: Globalization, labor movements and how things have changed in the last 50 years. Awesome.

Economic Geography: This class deals with globalization and the creation of new "knowledge spaces", or international collaborations between educational institutions. Love it.

Sociology of Socio-Economic Change and Development: another 1 credit seminar where I can just sit and listen (maybe talk sometimes) as the divine dissertators talk about stuff.

Development Studies Seminar: a 1 credit class for which I'll need to make a presentation, do weekly readings and contribute thoughtfully to the group. This is the only class that I have with ALL the other development studies program students, and I have the feeling it's going to be great. But I'm also intimidated. I'm always intimidated - that's so lame.

All in all, this semester is probably going to be more work than last semester, but at the same time it's going to be way more relevant and FUN. If my brain explodes, at least I'll be enjoying myself while it happens.

1 comment:

Miss Non-Sequitur said...

hey you need to add Market Whores to your links on the Right!