- The wound on my right knee is green. Does that mean I'm going to lose my leg?
- I really hate Comic Sans font. Everyone should stop using it.
- Even though I failed my last stats test, I'm still getting a B. That's awesome.
- This weekend I'm finally going to see Rent. I can't wait.
- It's really cold outside. Isaac said we should go back to the Desh where it never gets cold like this.
- I am starting my end of semester research papers this week. The topics:
- Development Strategies and the Rise of the Gendered Division of Labor in Bangaldesh.
- Social Contacts and Job Outcomes in the Bangladeshi Labor Market.
- My mom is the best mom in the world and I'm so grateful that she's mine. She came yesterday, picked Isaac up from school, let me stay on campus until 9:00 p.m. so I could study, did my laundry, vacuumed, cooked, cleaned Isaac's disaster room, cleaned my bathroom, and cleaned my refrigerator. She probably did other stuff, too, but I haven't noticed yet. I couldn't do this without her, and I'm so lucky.
- Should we get Isaac an electric guitar or a ukulele for Christmas? Electric guitar pros: definite cool factor, easier on the fingers cuz the strings are not as hard to press, and they are definitely cool. Cons: expensive, need an amp, won't sound cool immediately. Ukulele pros: cheap, small enough that he can hold it without difficulty, cool because it's a little unusual, can transition to electric later when I'm convinced that he really wants to learn. Cons: not nearly as cool as the electric guitar.
- Seriously, my knee is green. Can I please get some freakin' sympathy in the comments? C'mon people, do I have to beg?
Thursday, November 29, 2007
Tuesday, November 27, 2007
Posted by Katie at 8:23 PM
Monday, November 26, 2007
Today is the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women.
Violence against women is one of the biggest reasons for suffering violence in the world today.
You can speak out against violence against women.
Posted by Katie at 8:43 PM
I have such a hard time helping Isaac with his homework. He has to make sentences out of "core words" and sometimes the sentences have to have a specific number of words. Let's see how you do:
Use the following words in a sentence:
other some which
their there were
these some would
It took me forever to help him find a satisfactory sentence for each. Let's see what you come up with.
Posted by Katie at 7:54 PM
Tuesday, November 20, 2007
- Isaac has a new friend (whom I'll call Big A.). Big A. was visiting the other night and Isaac offered him a GoGurt. "Sorry, Big A., all I've got left is pink." Big A. responded, "That's okay, it doesn't threaten my masculinity." He's 7. I'm so proud of myself for calmly saying, "That's awesome, Big A." (when what I really wanted to do was laugh really loud.)
- I have been very silent about the horrible cyclone that hit Bangladesh last week. It's bad. You might not have heard about it because the media has been quiet despite the fact that recent estimates put the number of dead at 10,000 plus. Sadly, the worst is yet to come with the damage of crops, loss of livelihoods, and ruined homes of more than a million people...right at the beginning of Bangladesh's winter season. It ain't good.
- On a lighter note, Masud is visiting and we've enjoyed hearing about his business trip to Asia. No fair. I wanna go to China so bad.
- I think I got a C on my last stats exam. I'm waiting for the prof. to send out the curve info.
- I might start a new blog. Potential titles: "Don't Read This Blog, It's Nerdy." or "Katie Attempts the Dialectic". I've been reading so much lately that I'm worried I'm no longer processing it, so perhaps posting a reflective essay on each book I read would help me to latch on. I'll keep this blog, of course, because I need some place to post silly pictures of myself!
- My Thanksgiving plans include an indoor water park, an hour long massage that I'm paying way too much money for, a quiet dinner with the fam, and about 25 hours of homework catching up that I need to do. Fun.
- I hope that Isaac asks Santa for Guitar Hero III for the Wii this year. He'll probably want something dumb like Legos or something. Sheesh. I am definitely trying to influence him though. Wait a minute, since I'm Santa, maybe I should just buy Guitar Hero? Is that horrible?
- Last night I got 8 full hours of sleep, and today I really REALLY understood the lecture in stats class, even though it was about algorithms, which I NEVER understand. Could it be??
- It's past midnight. I'm going to bed now. Cat'cha on the flip side, yo.
Posted by Katie at 11:53 PM
Saturday, November 17, 2007
Friday, November 16, 2007
- Sometimes I love heavy metal.
- I had a stats test yesterday and got done early. I thought it might be a good sign, but today at lab I realized it might not be.
- I think the stress is getting to me and I don't care that much about my grade. Those of you who know me might be wondering if need to be psychoanalyzed.
- Isaac has reached the prime Lego phase, and it rocks. I will be putting together the Mars Mission Battle Station for the next five hours. (Those of you who might be wondering, Isaac is the primary builder and I'm the assistant. Yes, Rajas, I'm talking to YOU.)
- The Battle Station comes with humans and aliens, and I think the humans are supposed to capture the aliens and put them in these tube things in order to be "tested". I don't think that's very nice, so we're making up a different story.
- I bought a fake white xmas tree today.
- I can't believe it's almost Thanksgiving.
- They are selling mint M&Ms for xmas. Does anybody remember Royals? Do they still make those? They had little crowns on them and were green and brown. Mmmmmm.
Posted by Katie at 3:27 PM
Sunday, November 11, 2007
Modest Mouse is not my favorite band, but it's part of the genre that I enjoy. The real treat for me was watching one of the opening acts called Man Man. This band was great. There were six (I think) members, and each of them had their own instrument as well as supplementary percussion items. The drummer was a total spaz and I had a crush on him by the end of the first number. He sat right in front across from the lead singer, and they actually synchronized their movements. The lead singer beat the crap out of his keyboard that he often played with one hand while hitting a snare drum with his other hand. They used goose calls, pots and pans, Tibetan prayer bowls, water bottles, tin boxes, and a ton of other weird stuff for their percussion. AND there was a dude playing the xylophone. Nothing cooler than the xylophone. Except maybe the banjo, which features prominently in much of Modest Mouse's music.
Today I'm tired, a little deaf, and my neck and shoulders hurt from all the head bobbing, but it was so much fun and I can't wait to do it again!
Posted by Katie at 6:31 PM
Thursday, November 08, 2007
Saturday, November 03, 2007
via Domestic Nemesis.
Slow internet sucks. I am so tired and would love to be like one of the little squirrels outside that gets to hibernate all winter long. If Hershey bars were good for me, would I still love them so? I don't like buffet-style dinners because I always overeat. My cholesterol went down, and my triglycerides dropped by over 50%. I don't know how I will finish all of my work this weekend. I shouldn't be writing this post, I should be sleeping. I just watched Ocean's Thirteen and there was a gross hotel room...I'm in a hotel room right now. What if there are germs in my bed? Ewww. I'm really excited to see Modest Mouse next weekend.
Posted by Katie at 12:14 AM