Sunday, September 04, 2005

The "bewful girl" and the "mean boy"

Isaac came home from his first day at school completely exhausted. Sensing that he didn't feel like talking, I gave him some chocolate milk and put on a movie so he could relax. Over the past two days, I've gotten little hints of information here and there. Here's an example of our conversation.

"Hey mom, do you know in tae kwon do when I was doing those kicks? That was pretty cool, huh, mom?"
"Yes, Isaac, you were pretty good!"
"I can't wait to break another board, mom. There was a bewful girl at school, mom."
"I'm excited to watch you break another board, too, Isaac! Tell me about the beautiful girl."
"She was bewful, mom. I tried to talk to her, but she was too shy and she didn't say anything."
"Maybe you can try to talk to her again on Tuesday."
"Mom, can I dig a hole in the back yard and bury something in it?"

In another conversation, we were talking about why beach balls float, and he suddenly mentioned a mean boy.

"Was the boy mean to you or to somebody else, Isaac?"
"He was mean to me. He laughed at me when I was handsome."
"Why do you think he laughed?"
"He's not handsome. He wore pajamas all day."
"Maybe he was jealous of your handsomeness."
"Will my basketball float like this beach ball?"

As much as I want to push the issue and find out as much as I can about Bewful Girl and Mean Boy, I know it's best not to make a big deal about it. The social world of Kindergarteners...it's a mystery indeed.

No comments: