Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Malaria prophylactic

I picked up our Malarone pills today. For some reason, our insurance only allows us to get 15 pills at a time, so it looks like the easiest way to get them will be to just buy them in Bangladesh (and hope that they are good quality). It's so funny...I was incredibly naive the first time I went to Bangladesh. I thought I was invincible, and refused any immunization or pills. This time, I'm taking even the long-shot preventive options like the Typhoid vaccine, and I've reviewed all of my choices for malaria prophylactic carefully, because I plan to take them for the entire time I'm there. Among other things, I can look forward to nausea, headaches, dizziness, sleep disturbances and appetite changes.
Today was a particularly moist day here in Minnesota, and the mosquitoes were in rare form. It made me think about what I'm going to face in Bangladesh. I still have scars on my feet from our trip last December. That was so bad - the night I counted over 100 huge bites on my legs and feet, I wondered how I'd survive. And now I'm going for 9 months! Since I saw one of our friends who came back from Bangladesh with Dengue fever, I don't want to take any chances. I'm usually an opponent of pesticides and chemicals, but I plan to bathe myself and Isaac in DEET.

Eyes are closing - time for bed.

No comments: