Monday, July 19, 2004

Vintage Spiderman Rocks!

Saturday, we went to Best Buy and Isaac spotted a collection of all 52 episodes of the original Spiderman cartoon from 1967. For some reason, maybe it was a rare moment of double-parental-weakness, or maybe the planets were in alignment - I don't know - both Masud and I agreed to shell out the almost $50 for the entire set. Isaac was so happy that he promptly promised to learn ALL of the letters in the alphabet.
So, as you can imagine, it's been a Spiderman marathon for the past few days. Isaac was sick today, so he laid on the couch all day and watched as Spiderman defeated numerous weird foes. At first, I was indifferent. Cartoons are cool for a while but they get old fast. But then I was sucked in. These cartoons are different from the average Nickelodeon fare.
For one thing, Spiderman, a.k.a. Peter Parker, is pretty hilarious. For example, he will look up and see a piano about to fall on him, and he'll say "My Spidey-Sense is telling me that something is going to fall on me." Also, he's pretty suave with the ladies. In the first few episodes, there's this chick named Betty. She really has a thing for Peter Parker, it's obvious, because she always puts herself in harms way to help him out.
The best character is J. Jonah Jameson. What a guy. The person who played him in the recent live action movies did an excellent job imitating the cartoon. The voice, the mannerisms, everything is right on!
So thanks to my son for exposing me to this new-found interest. I'm sure we'll enjoy memorizing it together.

No comments: