Saturday, January 07, 2006

Really Deep Thoughts

1. It's Korbani Eid time again - this is the holiday that cows and goats dread - a virtual bloodbath of sacrifices. Last January I spent Korbani Eid in the village. I can't believe it's only been a year!! But the memories live on. Who could forget that dude walking around with four cow legs casually flung over his shoulder? Or the basket of cow skin? Yes, a basket of skin.

2. I'm listening to Barbara Ehrenreich's book "Nickel and Dimed" on CD. Ever since I was a waitress, I've felt that everyone that eats in restaurants should be required to wait tables for one week. Now I have changed my mind, everyone should just be required to read this book. She talks about what it's like to try to live on minimum wage, and the indignities that people who work these jobs must tolerate. Next time you eat out, please give your server a nice big tip. They deserve it even if they forgot your second Diet Coke.

3. This week I had a grand total of four doctor's visits. Advice: Don't let your health problems pile up - it's easier to take care of them as they come along.

4. The snow has completely melted. It's January. What the hell?

5. I found a cool online comic.

No comments: