Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Fireworks are stupid.

I'm sure we Americans waste a ton of money on them. Some genius in Mankato lit some illegal fireworks in his basement and blew off a couple of fingers and blinded himself. I read somewhere that sparklers burn at 1000 degrees Farenheit...and we give them to three year olds and let them wave them around near their face. Good idea.
I did enjoy watching them burn up thousands of dollars in Mankato last night, though. As I got eaten alive sitting in our friends driveway, I watched the fireworks display and thought about how much I like the Fourth of July. It's a fun holiday, at a good time of year. It's usually not too hot, but warm enough to enjoy the great outdoors. We tried to have a little get together, but only 8 out of 25 invitees could make it. I spent all day making hamburgers that I wouldn't eat and then we ended up sending most of the leftovers home with Rob when he left. Sheesh. It was nice with the 8 people that came, anyways. My brother Rob took pictures on his super-expensive camera, and if he ever emails them to me, I'll post them. My old camera is doing development work at Nari Jibon, and my new one is already in the shop for repairs.
And now for some entertainment. I am wading through the thousands (seriously) of emails in my hotmail account. I didn't check it while I was in b-desh because for some reason it took centuries to download over there. I found a really funny one from my friend Nipa that I wanted to share...
A worldwide survey was conducted by the UN. The only question asked was: "Would you please give your honest opinion about solutions to the food shortage in the rest of the world?"
The survey was a huge failure, In Africa they didn't know what 'food' meant, In Bangladesh they didn't know what 'honest' meant, In Europe they didn't know what 'shortage' meant, In China they didn't know what 'opinion' meant, In the Middle East they didn't know what 'solution' meant, In South America they didn't know what 'please' meant, And in the USA they didn't know what 'the rest of the world' meant!

I giggled and thought you might too.

No comments: