Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Oh Beautiful for Spacious Skies...

I've been really, really missing Bangladesh (especially after reading my friend Tanya's top 12 list of things she'll miss about "Amar Sonar Bangla"), so I decided to write my own list of things that I really appreciate about America, land that I love. I'm feelin' better already!

10. Supermarkets - where all kinds of vegetables are available all the time, whether they are in season or not.

9. Hazard-free roads. I no longer need to brace myself and shout "Oh my God" when I'm in traffic.

8. Breathable air. My lungs are in heaven.

7. Law and order. I never thought I'd say it, but thanks to the women and men in blue who keep our streets safe and our pockets un-picked.

6. Underground sewer systems. Need I say more?

5. Cockroach-free living quarters.

4. McDonald's French Fries...there is no substitute.

3. Privacy

2. Beer (It was available to me in Bangladesh, but social taboos in my in-law's house made it "neeshedh" - forbidden.)

1. Not being a single parent anymore. I knew I missed Masud, but I am just now realizing how much I missed Isaac's father.

I'm still trying to adjust to life here...taking it slowly...one friend at a time...but it's still overwhelming.

I'm headed to D.C. this weekend for the Fulbright Pre-Departure Orientation for next year's class. I was invited to speak on a panel called "What it means to be a Fulbrighter". Once I get my speech written up, I'll try to post it to share with all of my blog readers. I suppose I should think about what I'm going to say, eh?

No comments: