Friday, June 10, 2005

...jiggety jig.

Flying around the world is hard on the ol' bod. Due to the Fulbright program's "fly America" rule, we had to take Delta airlines from London (instead of our regular British Airways), and the seats were absolutely awful. Small, and packed in tight, they feel like they are made out of cement. I felt too bad for the people behind me to recline my seat, but unfortunately the person in front of me did not share my empathy. Isaac slept blissfully on my lap, unaware that he was causing his mother more discomfort than when he was born.

Anyways, I'm home now. I've been in a dreamlike state for the past few days. I woke up a few times wondering where the hell I was, and why didn't I have a mosquito net over me? The house is a disaster (no, Masud, that is not an exaggeration.) There are literally things sitting around that I left here nine months ago - ex.) there was some sour cream in the fridge that had grown hair and started to plan its escape route. My bra was dangling on the curtain rod in the laundry room where I had left it to dry. All of Masud's clothes were washed and neatly folded, but kept on TOP of his dresser instead of inside. Poor guy. He should learn how to open drawers.

I really miss Bangladesh. I think Isaac does, too. I have not spoken any Bangla for three days, except to talk to my mother in law yesterday. I miss the women at the office (who are still weeping at my departure, I'm sure.) I miss the azan (call to prayer) that reminded me to thank God for my luck at being born in the US, and I miss the sounds of rickshaw bells in the early morning. I even miss the throngs of people. I feel very ALONE here, even though my mom is here and I've seen some of my friends and family already. There is nobody on the sidewalk. Nobody selling fish or towels or offering to sharpen my knives. No random dudes belting out random Bengali tunes. Wait, I still have Masud to do that for me. Once he's recovered from the Chicken Pox, he'll be belting them out left and right.

Most of all, life is very mundane now. While I was there, I was doing something amazing every day. Now I'm doing laundry and reorganizing my house. Not so amazing. It's a little depressing. I went from Fulbright Scholar to stay at home mom. Sigh.

1 comment:

TKP said...

There is nothing non-amazing about being a stay-at-home Mom. Its the most undervalued and important job in the world. Plus, its WHO you are, not WHERE you are that makes the things you do outstanding. I know plenty of people in Dhaka who are living not-so-amazing existences. I'm sure you're being Katie will compel you to do things that are selfess, extraordinary, and wonderful. Even if it is opening a drawer for your husband.