Monday, June 06, 2005

Last post from this hemisphere...

Well, folks, I have less than 24 hours in Bangladesh. Today has been a whirlwind of last minute shopping (panjabi for Isaac), apartment searching (for my niece), "hao-mao" crying (from all the people whom I had to say goodbye to), and baggage stuffing (repacked three times to make just ONE MORE THING fit). Tomorrow morning, promptly at 9 a.m., the procession of goodbye-sayers will begin.
I admit, I'm an emotional wreck waiting to happen. Even the little girl that works at the apartment where I live has been weeping all day. (She's worked here for about two months.) It is so wonderful to be loved so fiercely, but breaking away is exhausting. I had to actually offend some people in order to keep them from coming to the airport. I am getting a motorcade from the Embassy (which is good because I have six huge bags - none of which will fit in the GeoMetro-sized taxis.
I just keep thinking about the good potatoes and crusty bread, snap peas from the garden, and SALAD. Grapes. I haven't had a grape for 9 months (unpeelable fruits are forbidden). I'm craving grapes. Mom, if you read this, buy grapes on your way to the airport.

No comments: