Wednesday, May 11, 2005

You could fry an egg...on my scalp.

It is literally so hot here that I have to take an umbrella on my 5 minute walk to work in the morning. Otherwise I feel like my hair is going to spontaneously combust. I don't know how people, especially rickshaw pullers, can stand to work in this heat. Tomorrow is going to be a doozy, possibly topping out at 110. Oh yeah.
I've been busily wrapping up my projects, and trying to figure out the mystery that is statistics. Kathy and her graduate student Saif bhai have been very helpful, and they were both impressed by my R-squared of 28 (I have no idea what that means, but apparently it's good). Hopefully I'll understand it enough to be coherent when I present my findings later this month. Or maybe I'll just use lots of jargon and sound impressive. We'll see.
Isaac has started to realize that we will not see some of our new friends for a long time once we leave. He busted out crying yesterday in the office, because he has a "nanu" (maternal grandmother) there whom he loves very much. She spoils him rotten, even though she makes about 30 dollars a month. She bought him an outfit and brings fruit every day (even though he doesn't eat fruit.) In the mornings, she walks a few miles to work but always comes to my house first so she can carry my bag for me. I don't let her of course, but it's a tough battle. She holds Isaac's hand and helps us cross the terrifying road on the way to the office. Kathy has some great pictures of her with Isaac and I'll try to post them soon.
Well, I hope you all are enjoying your temperate weather and pollution free air. I will post more pictures soon.
Only 28 days left to go! Page comes on Tuesday (yipee!)

No comments: