Thursday, September 30, 2004

Shab-e-Barat

Tonight is Shab-e-Barat, or the night of salvation, which is celebrated my Muslims around the world. Tonight is the night that Allah will decide our fates for the coming year. Most Muslims fast during the day and then pray all night. Tonight there will be prayers spoken over the loud-speakers all night long. I remember the first time I came to Bangladesh, it made me so mad that they were yelling something over the loudspeakers all night. Now I understand a little better what it's all about.

I've gotten over my rice aversion with a little help from a friendly anti-nausea pill called Omidon. I'm going to keep a supply of this handy medicine around, because it took away the pukey-ness almost immediately. Today I was able to eat without gagging once!

I made some split pea soup tonight and fed my in-laws. They said it would have been tastier if I had put some hot peppers and meat in it. I said, "But I'm a vegetarian and I don't eat hot peppers!" They didn't get it. Anyways, I told them that in America, people put ham in this soup. They were so grossed out that they almost couldn't finish it. Talking about eating pork to a Muslim is like talking about eating poop.

I'll be going to Dhaka in a few days to run a few errands, meet a few people, and attend the Fulbright orientation. Tanya and Keisuke are here, so it will be great to see them again. Isaac is looking forward to pizza and french fries, as well as a trip to Rifles Square to get some new DVDs. He's worried about staying with a babysitter while I go to my meetings, but I promised him a toy, so he's gonna get through it.

Well, I can't stand the smell of my own armpits, so that must mean it's time to bathe. Until then...rock on.

No comments: