Friday, November 05, 2004

Ahhh, my fellow countrymen!

So far, I have had to explain to exactly 14 people why my country's people are so "boca" (stupid). People just don't understand what it is that US citizens see in Bush. I find myself defending him to some degree, just so Americans can save some face. I try to emphasize the fact that Americans are scared of terrorists, and they believe that Bush will protect them and their children. People reply that because of Bush's actions abroad, terrorists are becoming more determined to hurt America. I've even had conversations with some less educated people from the village, who say that because of Bush's foreign policy, the entire world has been upset. If these people can understand that, why can't the voting public?
I had high hopes, the psychic in India predicted that Kerry would win, the international polls showed that the entire world was overwhelmingly in support of Kerry, and my sister in law had two dreams that Kerry would win. She's rarely wrong when she dreams something. But apparently my fellow voters didn't hear that news. My mom even convinced my 95 year old grandma to vote Democratic for the first time in her life, but she changed her mind at the last minute. It must be the fear factor.
Oh well, at least now there is an end in sight. I'll be out of the country for the next 8 months anyways, and after that, I only have to wait 3 1/2 more years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Katie, be gentle with us. If you were here you would have to be explaining to at least 14 people why the people of Bangledesh are so "boca" as to feel sorry for Sadam. The world is a strange and troubled place--but "hope springs eternal" so we will soldier on. :-)