Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Off again!

I had so much fun in India that I don't think I can explain it, so I'm just going to post pictures. I ended up staying at Tanya's house in Kolkata for a few extra days. If it weren't for my boys, I'd probably still be there. Tanya's mom is a great cook, and their flat is really comfortable. Tanya, K. and I had a lot of fun going around Kolkata. We shared a hooka and broke it down in one of the new clubs they have there. Quite a change from the Bangladesh scene where alcohol is prohibited! It was a nice vacation for this old mom.

It was nice to get back to Dhaka and my guys, though. Isaac and Masud had a great time without me, but they seemed happy to have someone who cares about cleanliness come back in their lives. Masud bought Isaac all of the toys that I had forbidden (anything that makes loud noises, requires adult assistance, or costs more than $10). Isaac took Masud to all of the western restaurants - Pizza Hut, A&W, Wimpy. I think they even went to a theme park!

Today we rented a micro bus and came to Comilla. I brought enough dry goods to last us for the next couple of months, and we're all busy putting it in plastic bags so that the bugs don't find it. (So I hope). In the next couple of days, we'll be going to Masud's father's village. It's pretty remote - we have to take a bus, then a boat, then a rickshaw or something...and there is no electricity. We're going for 4 or 5 days, so don't expect any blog updates anytime soon. I'm really excited because although I've been to villages before, this one is pretty darn rural. I'm gonna get lots of research done on this trip.

Korbani Eid is on the 22nd. This is the holiday where we remeber how God saved Isaac from being sacrificed by Abraham by providing the animal sacrifice. We are taking two cows there to sacrifice in thanks. For many people, this is one of the only times they get to eat meat all year. I'm not fond of the whole bloody sacrifice/gory feast thing, but it will be nice to celebrate this holiday in the village. They grow their own vegetables, so I'm planning on getting some really fresh "niramish".

Well, my house is a mess and I have guests so I'll have to post more later. Stay tuned for pictures. Hi to any new blog readers that I met in Kerala! Wish I was still there with you!

No comments: